Sunday, March 24, 2013

Ahimsa




I first read about the principle of ahimsa when I was at the gym, reading a old copy of a yoga magazine while on the elliptical. For those who might not be familiar, it is a Sanskrit word referring to the concept "do no harm."

In yoga, ahimsa is generally the first principle of the five yamas. Ahimsa also is a major principle of Jainism and various Hindu and Buddhist subgroups.

Ahimsa usually is discussed in regards to vegetarianism and veganism, the idea that the killing of flesh - and note that some Eastern religious do not differentiate between souls of animals over souls of human beings - is an act of violence. Practitioners are encouraged to avoid violence, as violence takes a person farther away from the divine source. And this includes taking violent death into the body in the form of food.

Although I've practiced yoga, I'm not a yoga scholar. However, I'm drawn to this principle. Yet it strikes me that I'd like another word, something that implies choosing to be nonviolent, or kind, to the planet. I think this idea is similar to Edward O. Wilson's concept of biophilia, or Glenn Albrecht's eutierria, but these seem to be more states of mind to me. Ahimsa to me is not just a noun, but a verb, sort of like the word love. It implies action, or possibly (as Albert Schweitzer critiqued) chosen inaction. Albrecht almost suggests this with his idea of terranascia, a word he defines as "earth creator," but I'm not completely satisfied with it. Again, it is a noun, and I want a verb. How can we call others to action to a state of mind? We need a verb to get there. And, while I believe a mental state can be an impetus, I think we are at a necessary state for action.

Since I'm not a good enough linguist to invent a neologism, I started thinking about how ahimsa could have a broader application today. Could recycling be a principle of compassion and nonviolence? Carpooling? Taking public transport? Buying organic vegetables? Shopping at farmers markets? Adopting from the ASPCA? Supporting and/or participating in community art? Working to eliminate racism and rape culture in culture and language?

Again, all these ideas are actions. Which is what I want this project to be, an action, an intervention, a compilation of questions that might not provide a simple solution.