Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Artichoke Paper



This plant made me.
This plant made this paper.


Above are some samples of artichoke fiber paper. When I first learned to use vegetable fiber from Winnie Radolan, we would cut the fiber with some abaca to make it last longer. It was usually because only one or two students in the class would go through the five hours to cook a artichoke; most of us took easier, shorter cooking fibers like celery.

However, since moving to the Bay Area, circumstances came about that led me to investigate it again. Living in California, I have regular access to artichokes, in fact, the self-proclaimed artichoke capital of the world is a short drive away.


So now, I have the fortune of eating artichokes frequently. I could just compost the bracts, but I prefer to save them until I have enough, then make a mess of pure artichoke paper.


I have a connection to this paper is stronger than what I might have from half-stuff or even recycled rag. Part of this plant I cooked and ingested - it's molecular structure went on to become parts of my cellular structure; it went on to assist me continually making my body.

Another part of this plant went on to become this paper. Right now, the sheets above are blank, there is nothing on their surface. They are full of latent possibly.